Sippin Lean Looks Cool…Until It Isn’t!
Sippin lean in flat out dangerous. We’ve heard the rap lyrics and seen the pictures of some of the entertainment industry’s top artist(s) “sippin sizzurp”, “sippin lean”, and “sippin on good drank”. “Lean” is a mixture of the prescription cough syrup Codeine & Promethazine and a chaser of some sort, usually Sprite soda. The mixture looks purple, or pink, in color and is typically consumed from large white Styrofoam cups that are doubled to insulate the drink and keep it cold.
The glorification of the prescription drug has made it quite popular, very quickly. And while there is still some unknown surrounding the long-term effects of “sippin lean”, we do know that rapper Lil Wayne suffered a series of seizures that were allegedly triggered after he over dosed on lean. We also know that Pimp C, a popular Houston based rapper, died in 2007 of sleep apnea complications after drinking lean. Because he had sleep apnea, a condition where you stop breathing while you sleep, and drank lean, which slows down your body’s systems, including breathing, he went to sleep and never woke up. More recently, rapper A$AP Yams died in 2015, reportedly from overdosing on lean and other drugs. So, before you consider joining in on the “sippin lean” phenomenon, especially if you have respiratory issues like asthma or sleep apnea, please get the facts first.
6 Things That You Probably Didn’t Know About Sippin “Lean”
1. The drink is called Lean because once high on the drug, the user experiences a loss of control over their body. People high on Lean tend to lean or slump over.
2. Codeine, one of the active ingredients in “Lean”, is an opiate very similar to Heroin, Morphine, Oxycontin and Vicodin. Lean has been coined as, “Hip-Hop’s New Heroin”. Have you’ve ever seen a heroin addict? Yea, not a good look.
3. Codeine, while very similar to Heroin, is slightly less addictive. However, once addicted, the withdrawal symptoms mirror those of someone coming down from a Heroin addiction.
4. The two active ingredients in lean, Codeine & Promethazine, depresses the central nervous system, meaning they slow your body down, and this includes your breathing. This is why people feel that “good feeling” or that high. The problem is, that it can slow the body’s systems down so much that it just stops breathing and you die.
5. In April of 2012, a rapper from L.A., Schoolboy Q, revealed that he quit sipping on Lean and was trying to get A$AP Rocky to follow his lead. Schoolboy Q said he quit after he drank some Lean and passed out, then woke up breathing heavily because of complications with his asthma. He went on to say, “I don’t know if it was a near-death experience, but it felt like I was about to die. I’ve been going through withdrawals…It’s like somebody’s grabbing your stomach…and just holding it.”
6. The drug can cause Neuroleptic malignant syndrome (NMS), which can be fatal. Symptoms may include fever, stiff muscles, confusion, abnormal thinking; fast or irregular heartbeat and sweating.
If you need or know someone who may have a problem you can find helpful resources here.